[Vision2020] New Subject: Affordable Housing in Moscow

mark seman baukunst at moscow.com
Mon Oct 20 00:13:56 PDT 2008

Thanks to all of those who responded off-list.  I will continue to
post directly on V2020 rather than to a select responders' group and
address issues raised.  As we proceed, I hope there will be an
increased willingness of others to post on-list, thus encourage
dialogue and community involvement.  Input is critical at this initial
phase and should be used to identify relevant problems and work on
developing real solutions to them.
********
For example, from earlier responses:

How can affordable housing remain as affordable housing while the
market changes? [There are many affordable housing opportunities in
Moscow--BUT when an older, smaller, less expensive house comes up for
sale, it is usually snapped up by someone (probably someone in real
estate, but i don't know), and turned into a rental unit.]

How does increased density affect the surrounding lesser density? [Why
should people who bought in an R2 area be subjected to high density
housing right next door?]

What does affordable housing mean? [...what are the new homeowners
getting? A tiny house on a tiny lot? How about those on White Ave.
where the people who buy the homes are unable to acquire equity? What
kind of home ownership is that?]

Who are you and why are you doing this? [ Do you reside in Moscow? /
Moscow doesn't need any more crappy student housing - go away!]

Why build new since it takes more resources than remodeling an
existing house? [They may not be NEW and flashy, but they would be
great to build equity.]

Why do we need affordable housing? [The free market already provides
for those able to afford housing - they either rent or buy. / Moscow
doesn't need any more crappy student housing - go away!]

How does this issue relate to me? [I have no connection with people in
this demographic.  I live in my own home and work just like most every
other resident in town.  The students are taken care of by WSU or UI
housing and non-working people shouldn't be given housing.]
********
So, are these some of the problems, and if they are, what kind of
solutions are there?  If these aren't the problems, what are the
problems?  What other problems exist?

I will offer some suggestions later this week.

Mark

  mark.r.seman.architect
       9 2 8 . 9 2 5 , 7 6 1 7