[Vision2020] Conflict of Interest

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Oct 18 08:22:00 PDT 2008

Greetings Visionaires, Mayor Chaney, and Moscow's City Council -

Today's Moscow-Pullman Daily News reports that Councilman Wayne Krauss has
been hired part-time by James Toyota.

------------

New job

It didn't take long for Wayne Krauss to find something else to do. Krauss,
a Moscow city councilman and former owner of Martin's Auto Service Center,
closed the business in May.

At that time, he was ready for retirement, playing a little golf and
completing some remodel projects at his home.

"The summer's gone, the landscaping is done and the oak cabinets are built
and installed," Krauss said. "And I've played all the golf I needed to
play."

What's a guy to do?

For Krauss, it was trying his hand at selling cars.

On Oct. 1, Krauss joined the sales team at James Toyota in Moscow.

"I was in sales all my life," he said. "I sold tires, and I'm still
selling them - just now the whole car comes with them."

The job is considered full time but flexible enough to allow him to attend
to council business.

James Toyota is scheduled to move into its new facility on the Pullman-
Moscow Highway in Washington, just across the state line in November.

------------

Realizing that James Toyota stands to realize substantial revenue once the
Hawkins Project becomes a reality across Pullman Highway from James
Toyota, any vote cast by Councilman Krauss may be considered a major
conflict of interest.

I, therefor, strongly encourage Councilman Krauss to abstain from any vote
related to the Hawkins Project, including the sale of water to Hawkins
Companies.

Sincerely,

Tom Hansen
Moscow,