[Vision2020] Kevin Coe

Kai Eiselein fotopro63 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 17 14:15:54 PDT 2008

I, too, have mixed feelings.
I moved to Spokane, from Montana, shortly after Coe's arrest. The anger in Spokane at this man was palpable and surfaced often during his trial. I believe that same anger is at the core of Coe's commitment trial, due in large part to Coe's apparent lack of remorse or apology for his actions.
Rather than following a path of treatment, Coe served out his full sentence and remained defiant.
Coe has served the sentence handed down, 25 years. Not 25 years IF he completed a list of conditions. There was no condition to his release after serving his full term.
I believe anger at Coe's defiance has led to his continued incarceration.
Still, Coe is do doubt a dangerous man and a menace to any community.

Are we now sentencing people for crimes we fear they MAY commit? That is the greater question and in essence is what the civil comitment trial was about.
On the other hand...
If Coe raped again, what about the victim, who could have been spared?
I am torn, on one hand I feel it is the "safe" thing to do. On the other, I feel it is a continued punishment on someone who has served the sentence put upon him.
Frankly, a sentence of death would have avoided all of the above.