[Vision2020] Kevin Coe commitment

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 17 13:43:49 PDT 2008

Three things, Keely -

1)  Kevin Coe NEVER showed remorse for the acts of which he was convicted.

2)  Kevin Coe, in spite of insurmountable evidence which resulted in his
conviction, NEVER admitted guilt.

3)  Psychiatrists and psychologists who have been monitoring Kevin
Coe's "progress" during his tenure in the Washington State Correctional
System feel it is not a question of IF he will reoffend as much as it is
when and how often.

He is certainly not the type of individaul I want living in my
neighborhood.

On a happier note, though . . . I guess we can consider ourselves
fortunate that he wasn't tried here in Moscow by Judge Stegner, huh?

> On a different note . . .
>
> Any thoughts about the civil commitment of Spokane's South Hill Rapist,
K> evin Coe?  The jury decided yesterday that he has a mental disorder that
sh> ould result in his indefinite civil commitment -- for an unrepentant
61-yea> r-old who's refused treatment, I'm safe in guessing it'll be for
life.

> I'm torn, frankly.  Kevin Coe seems to be the worst kind of predator and
> a danger to the community.  Still, he served his 25-year sentence, and
> I'm concerned about the idea of "civil commitment" and its application in
o> ther situations.  The civil libertarian in me says that he's served his
cri> me and ought not be incarcerated for what he might do, no matter how
like> ly it is that he will commit another attack.  The public-safety
concerns
ab> out unrepentant, untreated, defiant rapists out on the street,
though> , give me a measure of comfort in his commitment, even though it
seems
> not to represent the very best of American jurisprudence.
>
> Keely
> http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/

> Want to read Hotmail messages in Outlook? The Wordsmiths show you how.
> http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog-
cn> s!20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008>