[Vision2020] Kevin Coe commitment

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Oct 17 13:34:15 PDT 2008

On a different note . . .

Any thoughts about the civil commitment of Spokane's South Hill Rapist, Kevin Coe?  The jury decided yesterday that he has a mental disorder that should result in his indefinite civil commitment -- for an unrepentant 61-year-old who's refused treatment, I'm safe in guessing it'll be for life.

I'm torn, frankly.  Kevin Coe seems to be the worst kind of predator and a danger to the community.  Still, he served his 25-year sentence, and I'm concerned about the idea of "civil commitment" and its application in other situations.  The civil libertarian in me says that he's served his crime and ought not be incarcerated for what he might do, no matter how likely it is that he will commit another attack.  The public-safety concerns about unrepentant, untreated, defiant rapists out on the street, though, give me a measure of comfort in his commitment, even though it seems not to represent the very best of American jurisprudence.

Keely
http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/