[Vision2020] Who Wrote Dreams From My Father?

No Weatherman no.weatherman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 16:36:15 PDT 2008

It's only an intellectual curiosity unless someone lets the cat out of
the bag or unless an "who done it" scholar finds a smoking gun. This
may be one reason Obama won't throw Ayers under the bus ala Wright,
Rezko, and Farrakhan. Terrorists don't negotiate and Ayers is a
terrorist. (The unstated "therefore," Joe, is "Therefore Ayers won't
negotiate," which implies he'll get his pound of flesh from Obama if
Obama betrays him.)

I thought that, after citing several examples of similar syntax
between the terrorist and the candidate, the writer made an
fascinating point here:

"The "Fugitive Days" excerpt scores a 54 on reading ease and a 12th
grade reading level. The "Dreams'" excerpt scores a 54.8 on reading
ease and a 12th grade reading level. Scores can range from 0 to 121,
so hitting a nearly exact score matters. . . . "Fugitive Days"
averaged 23.13 words a sentence. "Dreams" averaged 23.36 words a
sentence. By contrast, the memoir section of "Sucker Punch" averaged
15 words a sentence.

"Interestingly, the 30-sentence sequence that I pulled from Obama's
conventional political tract, Audacity of Hope, averages more than 29
words a sentence and clocks in with a 9th grade reading level, three
levels below the earlier cited passages from "Dreams" and "Fugitive
Days." The differential in the Audacity numbers should not surprise.
By the time it was published in 2006, Obama was a public figure of
some wealth, one who could afford editors and ghost writers."