[Vision2020] Harding & McCain: academic vs Presidential performance

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 6 13:23:17 PDT 2008

On Monday 06 October 2008 12:31:18 lfalen wrote:
> It has been said that John McCain was a poor student. It may be worth
> noting that Grant was near the bottom of his West Point Class. He beat
> those that were at the top of the class. Roger

Many observers, both conservative and liberal, rank the Grant presidency quite
poorly. One listing shows only Harding and Nixon exceeding Grant's failures,
particularly his tolerance of corruption. Grant and McCain may have similar
academic performance at a military academy, but Grant's presidency is hardly
a positive recommendation as a template for a presidential successor.

Here are three paragraphs from the Wikipedia article on U. S. Grant:

"The first scandal to taint the Grant administration was Black Friday, a
gold-speculation financial crisis in September 1869, set up by Wall Street
manipulators Jay Gould and James Fisk. They tried to corner the gold market
and tricked Grant into preventing his treasury secretary from stopping the
fraud. However, Grant eventually released large amounts of gold back onto the
market, causing a large-scale financial crisis for many gold investors. Jay
Gould had already prepared and quietly sold out while Fisk denied many
agreements and hired thugs to intimidate his creditors.

The most famous scandal was the Whiskey Ring of 1875, exposed by Secretary of
the Treasury Benjamin H. Bristow, in which over 3 million dollars in taxes
were stolen from the federal government with the aid of high government
officials. Orville E. Babcock, the private secretary to the President, was
indicted as a member of the ring but escaped conviction because of a
presidential pardon. Grant's earlier statement, "Let no guilty man escape"
rang hollow. Secretary of War William W. Belknap was discovered to have taken
bribes in exchange for the sale of Native American trading posts. Grant's
acceptance of the resignation of Belknap allowed Belknap, after he was
impeached by Congress for his actions, to escape conviction, since he was no
longer a government official.

Other scandals included the Sanborn Incident involving Treasury Secretary
William Adams Richardson and his assistant John D. Sanborn. Another was a
problem with U.S. Attorney Cyrus I. Scofield. The Crédit Mobilier of America
scandal also ruined the political career of his first vice president,
Schuyler Colfax, who was replaced on the Republican ticket in the 1872
election with Henry Wilson, who was also involved in the scandal."

Ken