[Vision2020] economist.com -- Global Electoral College

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Sun Oct 5 19:04:41 PDT 2008

Paul, the Economist isn't "left-leaning."  Far from it.  But I suspect the
editors are reflecting on McCain's insistance that we were right to go into
Iraq and should not leave until we have achieved a victory.  They and the
rest of Europe aren't buying that..  McCain didn't help his cause when he
specifically stated a potential 100 years in Iraq and using the example of
our continued presence in Europe and Japan just won't fit into the Iraqi
scenario.  As Trudy Rubin expressed  in her column today, the Iraqis lived
under a colonial thumb for too long to allow it to happen again.  And they
are now in a position to call those shots.

Sue Hovey