[Vision2020] California Supreme Court to Take Up Gay Marriage

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Fri Nov 21 16:21:02 PST 2008

I think Roger is mostly right here in his analysis of what is a state constitutional issue and what is a federal constitutional issue and in which controls what.  The anti-gay marriage initiative in California directly amended the California state constitution through an initiative election passed by the state's voters.  This is mostly a state constitutional issue regarding the amendment of the Callifornia state constitution by its citizens.  Only to the extent that the federal Constitution clearly trumps a contrary provision of the state constitution is the federal constitution involved (or the state constitution affected and invalidated).   Otherwise it is a state issue.

That being said, just because the voters voted for an amendment does not automatically make the amendment valid under the state constitution.  In that respect, I would disagree with Roger that the voter-passed inititive prohibiting gay marriage necessarily passes state constitutional muster.  An amendment passed by the voters might violate some other conflicting provision in the same state constitution and thus create ambiguity over which provision controls.

Issues within the California constitution, for example, hypothetical conflicts between a state "equal protection" provision and a state "denial of gays right to marry" provision,  would raise state questions that would need to be resolved by the state courts.  Typically, various adages regarding "rules of construction" would be applied by the state court to resolve ambiguities and conflicts within the state constitution.  The court might side with those opposing gay marriage by following the adage that the specific provision (in this case, "no gay marriage allowed") controls over another more general provision that might apply to the specific gay marriage situation (e.g., state may not deny citizens the right of "liberty" or "equal protection of all laws").  On the other hand, the state court might decide that the equal protection, due process or non-discrimination provisions that may be present in the California Constitution are fundamentally more important and therefore control over the recent voter-passed provision that denies the right, conferred on the many (heterosexual marriage), to the few who are now prohibited from exercising that right (those seeking gay marriage).

It is my understanding that the U.S. Constitution has never been interpreted by the U.S. Supreme Court with respect to gay marriage and whether gay marriage can be legally prohibited.  The Fourteenth Amendment's Equal Protection Clause (state may not deny to any person the equal protection of its laws) or the liberty interest of the Due Process Clause (state may not deny life, liberty or property w/o due process of law) might well control and prohibit the discrimination experienced by gays through laws denying them the right to marry.  The analysis in reaching that conclusion might be that allowing heterosexuals to marry the unrelated, consenting adult they chose, while denying that right to homosexuals violated the gay persons' right to equal protection.  Then again, the Supreme Court might rule entirely differently.  It might accept that marriage is a relationship that exists only between a man and a woman, and that there is no unlawful discrimination or denial of equal protection in prohibiting men from marrying men or women marrying women, when marriage does not include same-sex marriage and when any woman can marry any man that she chooses and any man can marry any woman that he chooses.

Two cases from the Supreme Court will likely form the linchpin for any decision finding that prohibitions of gay marriage are unconstitutional.

The closest case that I can recall that might inform this debate is Lawrence v. Texas, from 2003. Here is a link to it:
http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/02-102.ZS.html.   Although Lawrence was decided in favor of the homosexual petitioner, the case does not purport to reach gay marriage.  Rather, the Court found unconstitutional a law prohibiting private sexual contact between two consenting adult homosexuals in the privacy of one's home.

Thus far, there is no controlling Supreme Court precedent that  has found anti-gay-marriage laws invalid.  Several state courts have found such laws violate their state's constitutions (Massachussetts, Connecticut and California).  Such a case has yet to be decided by the U.S. Supreme Court, however, and accordingly, no U.S. Supreme Court case mandates that the federal constitution explicitly controls over all state constitutions on this issue.  Therefore, the California Supreme Court is not bound by any federal decision that would automatically endorse or invalidate a California state constitutional provision outlawing gay marriage.

It may well be the case that the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution does prohibit state laws that forbid gays to marry, but the U.S. Supreme Court has not announced any such interpretation of the Fourteenth Amendment to this point in time.  Another important case that might provide a line of analysis that could be adopted pretty easily to extend the right to marry to people of all sexual orientations is Loving v. Virginia, http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0388_0001_ZO.html.   Loving challenged a Virginia state law that prohibited white and black people from marrying each other.  The Supreme Court ruled the Virginia law violated the Fourteenth Amendment's Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses.

I anticipate that the Supreme Court will address this issue in the next 10 years.

Bruce Livingston