[Vision2020] California Supreme Court to Take Up Gay Marriage

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 15:02:57 PST 2008

 Kai,

If the popular vote is to determine all things, including the special treatment and basic human rights of a select group of people, why have a Constitution at all?

Native Americans were once determined by the popular vote not to be "persons" as were Black Americans. It was courts that overruled those systems.

Popular vote is not always appropriate in every selection and decision made. Sometimes the Constitution is best, sometimes one person who is an expert is best, and sometimes a group of elected representatives is best. To suggest we use the wrong decision making vehicle for each kind of decision is to state you support bad government.

Best Regards,

Donovan