[Vision2020] Evil Black Rifles?

Mike Finkbiner mike_l_f at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 22:10:04 PST 2008

I have a couple of comments and clarifications.

One point brought up was to compare restrictions on free speech to
restrictions on firearms.  After all, if we allow our First Amendment rights
to be restricted, why not the Second?

Actually, we currently have more restrictions on firearms.  You don't have
to be 18 to own a bullhorn, or a high-speed printer or a powerful computer
connected to the internet, but you do to own a rifle.  You don't even have
to pass a background check to start a newspaper, but you do to buy a
firearm.  You can be punished for misusing your free-speech rights, but
there is not a pre-emptive restriction.  We do not require people to wear
gags when they attend the theater to prevent them from yelling 'Fire'.

Of course we recognize that only repressive governments pre-emptively
restrict speech.  Proposing restrictions on certain types of firearms
because they <might> be misused is just as repressive.  Calls for
registration of firearm are as worrisome as Soviet style registration of
typewriters.

My initial post was definitely to point out that the Assault Weapons ban was
silly because it classified weapons by their appearance.  The term Evil
Black Rifle is used jokingly by people who understand that many more
traditional looking firearms had similar firepower as those banned.  I may
have confused the issue by using the term self-loading rather than
semi-automatic, but many people mistake automatic (continues firing as long
as the trigger is pulled) and semi-automatic (fires one round each time the
trigger is pulled) so I prefer self-loading.

There are many self-loading hunting rifles.  I believe the first common one
was the Winchester Model 1903, so they have been around for a long time.
There have been statements that it is easy to convert a self-loading rifle
to full auto.  That's not true.  The BATF places significant restrictions on
firearms manufacturers, even requiring changes in the design after testing
to ensure that it would require significant work to convert it to fire
full-auto safely.

You can create a dangerous situation by cutting out part of the firing
mechanism and allowing the hammer to follow the bolt into the action as it
loads a new cartridge into the chamber.  In that situation it's quite likely
to fire the cartridge before the action has locked, which would blow it open
and spray shards of brass around.  Not a good plan.

There have been comments about how powerful the semi-automatic versions of
the AK-47 and M-16s are.

Here's a comparison of their common cartridges with the 30-06 hunting round
showing the size of the projectile and their energy at 200 yards in foot
lbs.

M-16 -    .223                    55gr   bullet      648 ft lbs
AK-47    7.62x39 Russian     125 gr bullet      882 ft lbs
             30-06                  180 gr bullet     1635 ft lbs

That's not a misprint, the other two run out of power fairly fast

There is belief among collectors and other firearms enthusiasts that folks
who are philosophically opposed to firearms have chosen to start with evil
black rifles (see above) because they seem like an easy target.
Self-loading hunting rifles could be next on the list, or even more.
Rebecca Peters, head of the U.N.'s International Action Network on Small
Arms in an Oct. 23, 2002, appearance on "CNN International Interview said,
"Civilians should not have ... rifles that can kill someone at 100 meters
distance."   That standard would eliminate everything except air rifles.

George Orwell is famous for "Animal Farm", the book which made the phrase
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others".  He
also said "That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class
flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

Restricting access to firearms is not a liberal value.  It's something that
those animals who are more equal than others want.   Firearms rights is not
just a redneck value.  Take a look at the Pink Pistols web site, or the Jews
For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership.  They are both minorities who
have reason to fear the majority.

And perhaps we should leave it at that.

- Mike

   "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look
upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest."

	-- Mahatma Gandhi