[Vision2020] Gun Bans

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Nov 11 19:10:31 PST 2008

Yes.

When the M16 was initially sold publicly as the Colt AR-15, it was semi-
automatic.

There is a part in the triggering mechanism called a shear pin.  The shear
pin rocks the firing pin.  In semi-automatic mode, the shear pin stops
after one round is fired.  By "shaving" the shear pin, it will continue to
function uninterrupted as long as the trigger is activated.  Thus, full
automatic.

I, myself, am not certain exactly how to go about doing this.  A friend of
mine that served as the unit armorer of Company D, 1st Battalion, 15th
Infantry (Mechanized) explained it to me and my squad a long time ago.

I, personally, own two weapons, neither of which is a handgun or rifle.

> I don't know my guns that well, but I thought I would ask anyway.  Can
> these be retrofitted to become a fully automatic weapon?  I thought that
> was a concern with many of the semi-automatic weapons; some of them are
> really fully automatic weapons with a conversion to make them
> semi-automatic in order to be legal to sell them.  This makes them more
> dangerous than a semi-automatic that was designed to be one.

Paul