[Vision2020] obama election / gun purchases

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 15:34:51 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:19, Kai Eiselein, Editor
<editor at lataheagle.com> wrote:

> 1996- Independent Voters of Illinois questionnaire:

> 35. Do you support state legislation to:
> a. ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.

That does seem unequivocal.  If the answer is his, and not a staffers,
then it would seem to support an "anti-gun" (or anti-handgun)
interpretation.

> b. ban assault weapons? Yes.

It is conceivably possible to ban semi-automatics without being "anti-gun."

> c. mandatory waiting periods and background checks? Yes. (We already have
> these)

How does this equate to "anti-gun?"

> (The Obama camp claims a staffer filled out the form, but his handwriting
> was on it. Hmmmmmm.)

> Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:

> Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.

Some might see this as prudence.

> Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.

Not all restrictions are unreasonable.

> Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.

Advocating safely doesn't seem, to me, to be "anti-gun."