[Vision2020] Taxes for war

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sat Nov 8 23:10:05 PST 2008

During the Vietnam War, when young men were made to offer their lives
and limbs thru a lottery or draft, I proposed to a similar lottery or
draft for 90% of the income of all those making more than a million
dollars a year. A young Republican acquaintance was absolutely
horrified by such an idea. He didn't even make $20 thousand himself.

As a matter of fact, during  World War II the income tax on $1
million was 90%. I remember reading that Bing Crosby was paying that
much. Then I figured that he would have only $100,000 left to live
on. Wow! Poor man! This was in 1945 dollars too.

Ralph Nielsen