[Vision2020] They Want to Tell Us How to Raise Our Children, Too

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 6 10:47:08 PST 2008

The following letter to the editor was published in Tuesday's (10/4) Daily
News.  While the author's name appeared with the letter (the Daily News
requires it), I'm not posting it here given that the MO of personal attacks
by anonymous cowards has recently become accepted in this forum.

Spiritual assaults on children by NSA students in Friendship Square is
completely inappropriate and definitely falls into the category of
un-neighborly behavior.

"Action not appreciated

Oct. 25 was idyllic weather so we stayed at the Farmers Market longer than
usual. I was helping watch my partner's 6-year-old grandson, who was
enjoying time on the play structure. This particular day was special fun for
our little guy because he loves playing chess and found two 20-something
young men that were teaching kids chess and playing games with whoever
wanted to try.

I admired these young men for spending Saturday morning sharing the game of
chess with the children of Moscow.

After a few minutes I noticed that our little guy was holding a piece of
paper with a colorful picture that had been handed to him by his chess
partner.

It turns out that our little 6-year-old had been handed a Bible tract
specifically written for young children titled, "This is Jesus and He loved
little children like you."

The tract invited the reader to "accept" Jesus with the caveat that refusing
to do so results in eternal damnation "in a lake of fire."

At no point in time did the chess teacher, a New St. Andrews College student
doubling as chess master, ask adult permission to give this 6-year-old
Jewish boy a Christian tract threatening immortal destruction.

I'm sharing this story because parents and caregivers need to be aware that
there are some in our community who don't think twice about proselytizing
our children behind our backs.

The folks at NSA need to know that such practice is inappropriate and only
serves to further the strain between the NSA crowd and the rest of Moscow.

[name removed],
Moscow"