[Vision2020] Cease and Desist

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Nov 4 12:38:01 PST 2008

>From "Today at Idaho" at

http://www.today.uidaho.edu/details.aspx?id=4603

University of Idaho Statement on Pre-Election Mailing

Nov. 3, 2008

MOSCOW, Idaho – The University of Idaho today issued a statement regarding
a recent political party mailing that some recipients inferred to be an
endorsement.

“The University of Idaho has been notified of a political mailing sent to
registered voters in Latah County by the county’s Republican party. The
mailing uses the university’s name and a derivation the university’s
marketing slogan in a fashion that creates an inference of an endorsement
of political candidates. We are clear: the University of Idaho does not
endorse candidates for political office. The University of Idaho is
strictly nonpartisan and nonsectarian as stipulated under its charter,
under the state constitution, and under Idaho law.”

The university has delivered a cease and desist communication to the Latah
County Republican Party, which sent the mailing under the party’s paid
postage permit.

Seeya at the polls, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)