[Vision2020] 40-year-old PFC Headed to Middle East

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri May 30 16:28:02 PDT 2008

>From the Army Times at:

http://www.ArmyTimes.com

Gregory Self, a 40-year-old private first class, trains at Camp Gruber in
Braggs, Okla., on May 27. Self, who joined the Oklahoma Army National
Guard in September, is now training at Camp Gruber for a mission to the
Mideast later this year.
http://tinyurl.com/3fbjxk

---------------

40-year-old pfc. headed to Middle East

BRAGGS, Okla. — Gregory Self has those sculpted facial features and that
1,000-yard stare common to many veteran combat soldiers. Except that he’s
a beginner, a private first class. And 40 years old.

Self, who joined the Oklahoma National Guard last September, is now
training at Camp Gruber for a mission to the Middle East later this year.

He’s older than many of his commanders, and nearly twice as old as his
peers around him, so why would anyone his age join the military?

“I liked the idea of adventure and travel,” said Self, a master carpenter
from Oklahoma City. “I wanted to do something for my country.”

There were comments made about his age during basic training, mostly from
drill sergeants who told him, “I don’t care how old you are, you’re going
to do everything.”

Self, who is single and does not have children, is attached to the Enid-
based 45th Fires Brigade of the Oklahoma National Guard.

Normally an artillery unit, the fires brigade is training for a new
mission to provide convoy and base security.

More than 800 of its troops are expected to ship out in September or
October to both Iraq and Kuwait.

Col. Pat Scully, spokesman for the Oklahoma National Guard, said it was
unusual for someone of Self’s age to join the Guard without prior military
service.

“Most of our recruits are 17, 18 years old or in their early 20s,” Scully
said. “I think it says a lot about him, his beliefs and what he stands
for.”

Self is already going places in the military: he was a private until
Monday, when he was promoted to private first class.

Meanwhile, on Oct. 16, not too long after he arrives in the Middle East,
he will turn 41. The cutoff age for joining the Oklahoma National Guard is
42.

Seeya at Farmers' Market, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Moscow,