[Vision2020] Rupert Murdoch Says Obama Will Win

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Fri May 30 08:53:57 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 7:12 AM, g. crabtree <jampot at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> And "progressive" arguments haven't, in many cases, centered around sound
> bites from huffington, kos, and msnbc? I recall numerous cases of your
> ideological comrades posting demagogic olber-rants to this forum. ("for
> shame, Mr.. president" & "shut the hell up!" leap nauseatingly to mind)

I agree with you.  Keith Olbermann, while I often sympathathize with
his sentiment, is painful to watch with his slobbering intensity.
That's why I like Bill Moyers.  While I don't always agree with him, I
respect that he attempts to engage my intellect, rather than my inner
demagogue.

> You toss out the noun "opportunist" as though its a horrible thing. I could
> have sworn it meant to take advantage of an opportunity. Murdoch is a
> business man and as such it's in his interest to hedge his bets. I strongly
> doubt that it will have any effect on FOX's editorial policy. Does George
> Soros' money not buy him a fair bit of influence? Does he not seek
> opportunities to do so? I would much sooner trust a greedy, self serving
> capitalist over a flaming ideologue. Their motivations are much more
> transparent.

I am using the word opportunist in the sense of someone who places
expediency above principle, who takes advantage of ANY circumstance of
possible benefit, regardless of ethics.  Your comparison of Murdoch
and Soros is apt, but I'm not quite sure how to digest this agreement.
 I admire Soros;  not un-coincidentally,  but because our politics
overlap.  Maybe it is hypocritical of me to hold Murdoch to a
different standard, but I do.  I'll have to cogitate for a while
before I come to any conclusions.

> If where the bulk of the big money goes is of interest to you, please see:

> http://www.opensecrets.org/overview/topcontribs.php

> http://www.opensecrets.org/overview/topindivs.php

Hey, but those are MY opportunists we are talking about!  I like
opensecrets.org.  I am so pleased that Frank Church was one of ours.
Still, I wish there was a site that attempted to document the "secret"
secrets, the behind-the-scenes palm-greasing and favors, the
honorariums, the paid consultancies, the lucrative member-of-the-board
positions that materialize for our needy Congresspersons after they
retire.

Chas