[Vision2020] Say What? Everyone Deserves Death

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Mon May 26 16:21:59 PDT 2008

Ted, your "central claim" is indisputable.  Yes, some mainstream
religions (and cults) use the techniques that you describe to control
people.  Historically, Christianity (and its associated cults) have
probably been more often guilty of this crime than other religions.

> the success of the Bush agenda, and the invasion of Iraq,
> was "cheered" by Bush's critical evangelical voting block, tens of millions
> strong, many of whom actually believed "God" had a role in Bush's
> presidency, and thus there was divine sanctioning of the Iraq invasion.
> Scary!

Terrifying, but sadly unsuprising.  This country is so saturated by
kooks that our United States Attorney General can anoint himself with
Crisco and not be committed.

> I think these examples demonstrate that "extremist" can be "normative,"

I can't accept your redefinition of the word "extremist."  Once a
behavior has become "normative" -- or part of the the norm -- then it
is no longer extremist.  In the case of the horribly manipulative
tactic that you rightly condemn, it has never been extremist.
Christianity, and especially the Roman Catholic Church,  have used it
as their modus operandi for their entire existence.

Chas