[Vision2020] Prepare to shop till you drop

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun May 25 14:31:08 PDT 2008

See attached.

CrossIron Mills appears to be just a bit larger than one and a half square
miles, which makes it almost large enough to hold Doug Wilson's, or Dale
Courtney's, ego but certainly not both and certainly not simultaneously.

> A news item and comment from Calgary, Alberta, I think Hawkins fans
> might enjoy.
>
> Ralph
>

> Prepare to shop till you drop: mega-mall, racetrack open in 2009
>
> Last Updated: Thursday, May 22, 2008 | 2:31 PM MT
> CBC News
> The new mega-mall and racetrack being built north of Calgary will
> open in August 2009, developer Ivanhoe Cambridge Development Group
> said Thursday.
>
> John Scott, vice-president of development with Ivanhoe Cambridge,
> said during a news conference that he expects the 1.4 million-square-
> foot complex in Balzac to be a draw for shoppers from across the
> province as well as a tourist destination for non-Albertans when it
> opens on Aug. 19, 2009.
>
> The mall, which will be called CrossIron Mills, will have 17 anchor
> stores and more than 200 specialty stores, along with 6,000 parking
> spots. Scott said that 80 per cent of the anchor stores and 77 per
> cent of the specialty stores have already been leased.
>
> Confirmed tenants include Holt Renfrew Last Call, Bed, Bath and
> Beyond, a Lacoste outlet, and a Jones New York outlet.
>
> The project, which the developer said is the first enclosed mall to
> be built in Alberta in 20 years, will cost roughly $400 million to
> complete.
>
> The design elements "celebrate the beauty and diversity of Alberta"
> and are inspired by the province's geography, landmarks and cultural
> icons, Ivanhoe Cambridge said in a news release. Inside the mall,
> there will be different themed areas, the release said, such as
> campfire, fashion, ranch, resources and wildlife.
>
> The accompanying Racing Entertainment Centre, which will be developed
> and operated by the United Horsemen of Alberta, will feature a "one-
> mile-long thoroughbred track, a seven-furlong standardbred track, a
> gaming parlor, entertainment stage and simulcast room," the release
> said.
>
> “From the beginning, Ivanhoe Cambridge and United Horsemen of Alberta
> shared the vision of creating an incredible destination for
> Albertans,” said Scott. “We believe that UHA’s racing entertainment
> centre adds a very special element to the overall offering.”
>
> An additional 120 acres of land north of the racetrack and mall will
> be developed, with further retail, service, hotel and office space,
> the company said.
>
> The complex is expected to employ more than 5,000 people.
>
> SteveC wrote:
> Posted 2008/05/22
>
> It's like they can read my mind. I was just thinking that what
> Alberta really needs is another megamall, so that we can all buy more
> junk that we don't need and waste more resources wantonly and VOILA!
> Here's this story.
>
> Thank you Ivanhoe Cambridge, what would we do without you.
>
> maija- wrote:
> Posted 2008/05/22

> [...]

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)

           http://www.fsr.com/