[Vision2020] Prepare to shop till you drop

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sun May 25 13:54:26 PDT 2008

A news item and comment from Calgary, Alberta, I think Hawkins fans
might enjoy.

Ralph

Prepare to shop till you drop: mega-mall, racetrack open in 2009

Last Updated: Thursday, May 22, 2008 | 2:31 PM MT
CBC News
The new mega-mall and racetrack being built north of Calgary will
open in August 2009, developer Ivanhoe Cambridge Development Group
said Thursday.

John Scott, vice-president of development with Ivanhoe Cambridge,
said during a news conference that he expects the 1.4 million-square-
foot complex in Balzac to be a draw for shoppers from across the
province as well as a tourist destination for non-Albertans when it
opens on Aug. 19, 2009.

The mall, which will be called CrossIron Mills, will have 17 anchor
stores and more than 200 specialty stores, along with 6,000 parking
spots. Scott said that 80 per cent of the anchor stores and 77 per
cent of the specialty stores have already been leased.

Confirmed tenants include Holt Renfrew Last Call, Bed, Bath and
Beyond, a Lacoste outlet, and a Jones New York outlet.

The project, which the developer said is the first enclosed mall to
be built in Alberta in 20 years, will cost roughly $400 million to
complete.

The design elements "celebrate the beauty and diversity of Alberta"
and are inspired by the province's geography, landmarks and cultural
icons, Ivanhoe Cambridge said in a news release. Inside the mall,
there will be different themed areas, the release said, such as
campfire, fashion, ranch, resources and wildlife.

The accompanying Racing Entertainment Centre, which will be developed
and operated by the United Horsemen of Alberta, will feature a "one-
mile-long thoroughbred track, a seven-furlong standardbred track, a
gaming parlor, entertainment stage and simulcast room," the release
said.

“From the beginning, Ivanhoe Cambridge and United Horsemen of Alberta
shared the vision of creating an incredible destination for
Albertans,” said Scott. “We believe that UHA’s racing entertainment
centre adds a very special element to the overall offering.”

An additional 120 acres of land north of the racetrack and mall will
be developed, with further retail, service, hotel and office space,
the company said.

The complex is expected to employ more than 5,000 people.

SteveC wrote:
Posted 2008/05/22

It's like they can read my mind. I was just thinking that what
Alberta really needs is another megamall, so that we can all buy more
junk that we don't need and waste more resources wantonly and VOILA!
Here's this story.

Thank you Ivanhoe Cambridge, what would we do without you.

maija- wrote:
Posted 2008/05/22

Someone didn't think their cunning plan all the way through. Local
retailers can't get staff as it is. They need 5000 staff? They're
going to pull them from where? The race horses' behinds? Have these
developers noticed that retail staff cannot be had in this city?

Toyotared thinks that these mythical employees will come from "low
income" families. Really? "Low income"? Yes, because what already low-
income earners need is another low-income job that necessitates a car
and gas money ($1.50/L by 2009, at least) to get to, when instead
they could earn the same amount of money at places in the city that
are on the transit system.

And what kind of super-geniuses think to open a mega mall in an
economy that is slowing and inflation that is rising? Or did did
these developers imagine that the folks who come out to gamble at the
track would hold a few dollars back to spend at the Holt Renfrew outlet?

This thing is going to be a mega-failure. What a gross waste of
resources.

KevinN wrote:
Posted 2008/05/22

Well said SteveC. And the location is perfect - far enough away that
I can "feel good" about not only buying useless crap, but waste
resources and create lots of pollution and GHG's drving there. Then
again I could do the longer "shopping trip" to Montana as suggested,
and really fill up on non-essential "stuff" and save a bunch of money!

Hmm, on second thought maybe I think I'll stick to Chinook mall that
I can walk to and only go when I absolutely need something. Bad me
not being the car-driving consumer......sorry.

Kimbahley wrote:
Posted 2008/05/22

A ranch themed mega-mall and racetrack? If it were any other province
I'd think this was a joke. I agree with Steve, this isn't
necessary... but if I was a business man, Calgary certainly is the
perfect market to open a large shopping complex. For me, however, it
will probably swarming with too many teenagers to tolerate.

What Alberta culture icons will this mall be inspired by, exactly?
Buckshot?

stanmck wrote:
Posted 2008/05/22

Oh Boy. A big deal.
How many small towns can one mega fancy mall drive out of business?
This is great. What better reason to divert water from the Red Deer
River.
Please import more great quality stuff from China.