[Vision2020] Say What? Everyone Deserves Death

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue May 20 01:40:34 PDT 2008

Ralph et. al.

Thanks for your Biblical explorations.

However, I wasn't commenting on the issue of "life after death," whatever
that may mean.  I did not make what I meant very clear.
I'll elaborate:

The idea that "Everyone deserves death," given some sort of general morally
flawed condition of humanity, is extremist and ridiculous.  There are many
wonderful people in the world who have never done anything that would
justify them deserving death.  Occasionally they might deserve being beaten
with a wet noodle.

I could explore the idea of "original sin" (Ralph, perhaps you could explore
the Biblical origins of the idea of "original sin," that all human beings
are tainted with, as some claim?) as it is viewed by some religions; but it
is clear from what I write that I do not accept this concept.

Again, I will state, this kind of thinking (Everyone deserves death) is
characteristic of the extremist dangerous beliefs of cults, that
use tactics to control people by making them feel inherently and inescapably
"bad," then offer them only one option to redeem their flawed moral fate...
Our way or damnation!

It is easy for this extremist moral calculus to be used to justify cruelty
against those who some religions views as "sinners," such as punishing
"wilful women," homosexuals, or children who need their sinful nature
chastened for behaviors that are only a natural part of growing up, and are
not indicative of "evil."  The fact that this kind of thinking may be
believed in by many following a "mainstream religion" makes it all the more
disturbing.

Ted Moffett