[Vision2020] Interfaith Panel Thurs. May 15

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sat May 17 17:43:09 PDT 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Donovan Arnold
<donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was trying to lend your argument some merit. As we are talking about why
> women get abortions. Your argument was that young women get pregnant to
> become adults through parenthood.

Were we?  We were talking about a lot of things.  The original thread
concerned an Interfaith Panel.  It then diverged all over the place,
covering everything from IP addresses, to the use of contractions, to
the death penalty.  We talked about abortion, and we talked about
pregnancy, but I delineated quite explicitly when I was discussing one
or the other, which, while related, or not the same subject.

> Problem with that argument is that if they get an abortion, they don't
> become parents, or adults.

Correct.  However, the reasons that a girl (or a women) gets pregnant
are manifold.  I was merely presenting a common reason (in my
experience).  I have known many young ladies who got pregnant for
precisely the reason I described, and yet still got abortions.  Not
every idea that seems like a good idea is a good idea when faced with
the reality.

> Now, you either didn't think your argument through, or you were just off on
> a tangent unrelated to discussion of option for unwanted pregnancies
> besides, poverty, abortion, or adoption.

There was no flaw in my argument, largely because I wasn't making one.
 I explained why a lot of young girls (in low SES levels especially),
deliberately get pregnant.  Many give birth, but many have an "oh %$!,
what I have I done?" moment after the fact, and subsequently choose
abortion.  Or their families choose for them.

I also clearly made my suggestion for preventing unwanted pregnancies:
to quote myself:

>I recommend Depo-Provera, Norplant, or something similar being made freely available to all teenage girls.

Chas