[Vision2020] UI Presidents Buck National Trend Toward Longer Tenure

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Fri May 16 22:48:20 PDT 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 19:26, nickgier at adelphia.net wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I've already written a draft for next week's radio commentary, mainly
because I was inspired to do it and also to have time to get some feedback.
<snip>

For reasons unknown at the moment, I am reminded of an English novel by R.
F. Delderfield titled To Serve Them All My Days, about a young history
teacher back from World War I who eventually rose to the headmastership of
the school at which he spent his career.

Might the next president of the university might already be on campus?

Or have the able personnel already moved on, retired, or wizened themselves
sufficiently to not step toward the responsibilities of the office?

Is the idea of promotion from within so antiquated as to deny consideration
to internal candidates?

Is a university presidency so specialized a position that an external hire
is the only source from which a well-prepared candidate can be selected?

Ken