[Vision2020] Not here [was just sarcasm? no!

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Thu May 15 05:09:33 PDT 2008

Paul,

18:53:08 PDT 2008, Donovan had already posted: “Yeah, since some of you
think I am 50 people using the same IP address.”

I don't see much point in asking Donovan to "confirm" that he has "Cable
One as an internet provider." If you trust his response, why not just accept
that all of his posts come from the same IP address, as he already said?

And what conclusions can we draw from this information? Well, not much. On
Mon May 12 06:16:56 PDT 2008 I posted the following to Donovan:

“No one is saying that you've been kidnapped. And no one is saying that all
your posts are given by someone else. I think that either (a) some of your
posts come from another person or (b) the information for some of your
posts is sent to you and you simply cut and paste it and send it in.”

Even if (a) is ruled out, (b) is still an option. And until we can find out what IP
address Donovan is posting from -- whether it is from his home, or a local
coffee shop, or a local college -- it isn't even clear that (a) is ruled out.

I don't want to suggest that I've proven anything because I haven't. And
you're free to believe whatever you want. As for me, I find it hard to believe
that Donovan could have written the following, in response to my question
about whether or not someone who believed that gays deserved the death
penalty is a sick individual:

“It depends on if they are speaking in religious figurative terms; For example,
all sinners deserve death, or if they really are advocating the murder of self
professed homosexuals. Obviously, anyone that is advocating the actual
murder of someone is not mentally balanced. Someone that says, "Sinners
deserve death" to illustrate none of us that offend God deserve life, I think is
just illustrating a religious/spiritual viewpoint.”

I cannot imagine Donovan writing this. In fact, I don't know of a single
Catholic who would write something like this. Notice there is a deliberate
switch to talk about deserving death, but in fact my question is phrased about
deserving the death penalty. This is a very unusual answer to that question.

I'm actually very afraid for Donovan since the individual that I suspect is
feeding him quotes is a sick individual in my book. I'd like to know the truth.

--
Joe Campbell

---- Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com> wrote:

=============
Joe Campbell wrote:
> Please read this and compare the writing style to the other posts, and notice
> the lack of contractions here. A very clumsy style here -- "There is a great
> deal of difference between someone being discriminated against because they
> are here taking a job, versus that of their race" -- versus the rather breezy
> style of the other postings.
>
> Again, if anyone -- other than Christovan -- thinks I'm wrong I'd like to here it.

I don't want to waste my mental resources (scarce as they sometimes are)
on psychoanalyzing Donovan's writing style, but I will point out that
you can get some idea who is posting from where by looking at the email
headers.  If you have an email client that actually lets you see the
headers (many Microsoft clients won't let you), then you will see
something like this (taken from my copy of the email you are referencing):

Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 15:38:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com>

Don't let this cryptic stuff scare you.  What you want to look for is
the "Received:" line farthest down the list, since they go in order from
receiver to sender as you go down the list.  In this case, you see the
following:

	Wed, 14 May 2008 15:38:49 PDT

The IP address should be the address Donovan is posting from
(72.24.91.109).  The "via HTTP" part means he's connecting through the
web to yahoo's email client.  I don't know if he posts from home, from
work, from a friends place, from his neighbor's wifi connection, or if
he's even the one using that account, but that IP address resolves to:

Non-authoritative answer:
109.91.24.72.in-addr.arpa    name = 91-109.72-24-cpe.cableone.net.

This is an IP owned by cableone.net, which appears to have connections
in the Lewiston area but not in Moscow (unless their web page is out of
date).

I've spot-checked a few messages, and so far all I've seen originate
from this IP address.

That address could be an endpoint of an onion routing network like tor,
but if that were the case I'd expect it to change frequently.

Donovan, can you confirm that you have Cable One as an internet
provider?  Not that it's any of our business, but it might help us solve
this "riddle".

Paul