[Vision2020] Interfaith Panel Thurs. May 15

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Wed May 14 14:47:52 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Kai Eiselein, Editor
<editor at lataheagle.com> wrote:

> "In the fruit salad, the components are clearly distinct; ethnic boundaries
> are intact, and reflexively "rooted" identities are secure and stable."
>  Let's take the above statement by Souchon and change it to "...the races
> are clearly distinct..."

Are you suggesting that we put all of the races into a blender, so
that we have one race (which, some would argue, is all we have,
anyway.)?  Or are you suggesting that we ignore racial differences,
which requires the same education that accepting the fruit salad
requires?  Both assimilation and multiculturalism have the same
problems, except that multiculturalism requires a more pragamtic and
realistic acceptance of differences, whereas assimilation requires
pretending that the difference don't exist.

I agree that racism is part of our unfortunate legacy, but I don't
believe that it is insurmountable.  The melting pot has had centuries
to succeed, and failed.  Let's give fruit salad a try.  Arguably both
futures are equally improbable, but I vote that we try for the future
that is not bland and unappetizing.

Chas