[Vision2020] Interfaith Panel Thurs. May 15

Kai Eiselein, Editor editor at lataheagle.com
Wed May 14 14:15:02 PDT 2008

"In the fruit salad, the components are clearly distinct; ethnic boundaries
are intact, and reflexively "rooted" identities are secure and stable."
Let's take the above statement by Souchon and change it to "...the races are
clearly distinct..."
It seems to me he is favoring more of a "separate, but equal" society for
the races. It would be too easy for a government to expand on the "fruit
salad" and turn it into an apartheid-like system of separation. That is what
hits my nerve.
Do I believe racism and ignorance are permanent conditions of mankind?
Yes. I do.
I believe it (racism) is a leftover trait from an earlier time when small
groups of humans had to worry about whether another group was friend or foe.
"Those who look/act like us are probably friends, those who don't may be
dangerous."
If one looks at any culture, one will find racism. Since many people look to
modern Europe as the pinnacle of acceptance, lets look there. I will point
at one group as an example.
The Roma, more commonly called Gypsies, have been discriminated against and
vilified for centuries, up to and including today.
Do I believe we should just throw up our hands and give up fighting racism
and ignorance?
Not by a long shot, I just take a more pragmatic and realistic view of it,
unlike your average, everyday, starry-eyed idealist.