[Vision2020] salad bowl/was Interfaith Panel Thurs. May 15

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 18:17:46 PDT 2008

Kai,

I absolutely disagree with you.  I think the 'fruit salad' concept more accurately describes our society than the 'melting pot' and I certainly favor the continued existence of your daughter and family as well as my own.  My kids are also a mix of ethnicities, and to a lesser degree, cultures, and there's plenty of room for them in the bowl.

I'm not arguing that the melting pot is a bad idea at all.  I'd have preferred it to be an accurate description of our society.  But the people who over the years have called me a  fucking Iranian/Iraqi/raghead have subtly indicated to me that they don't accept my identity as an American, one I clung to while growing up far away.  [Let me add that this has only happened to me once in Idaho, while it happened way too often in California.  And I'm not looking for anyone to apologize to me or feel sorry for me; I'm simply presenting why my experiences have led me to this opinion]

So I think it's silly for me to think I simply blend in in the melting pot.  I don't, no matter how much I would have preferred my appearance not to be an issue.  But I am part of the mix, as are my kids.  I don't think it gets us to apartheid, and it's certainly not how I live.

Sunil