[Vision2020] rebate checks

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 19:15:20 PDT 2008

I haven't used a Mac since the Mac Classic, so I really can't comment on
them.  I bought a new system a few months ago, which naturally came with
Vista.  I used Ubuntu to resize the Vista partition and to install
itself on the majority of the drive.  I also plugged in my other drives,
and now have about a terabyte of storage.  I boot into Vista once every
few weeks to play one game, and cringe every time I do it.  Vista is
invasive, annoying, and has had odd problems.  Really slow file copies
at times, network downloads that need you to be active on the machine
else they drop to modem speeds, messages that pull me out of the game
I'm in to tell me something trivial, without my being able to switch
back to it.  And every time I boot into it I have to remember to turn
off my USB printer, because otherwise it will go to a black screen and
stay there instead of booting.

I rejoice every time I reboot back into Ubuntu (actually Kubuntu).  If
there is one thing Linux isn't, it's "in your face" like Vista is.  I've
got one or two small Ubuntu issues, to be fair, but they are trivial to
me because I know what to do about them.  If I get a kernel update, I
need to reinstall the latest NVidia driver, because my particular card
isn't supported by the generic one.  That happens once every few months,
and I don't mind because it's free and because it's coded by people who
enjoy coding for the betterment of mankind so I feel ok cutting them a
little slack.

I'm a fan of XP, but my XP partition won't let me boot into it because
it requires reactivation and I've thrown those disks away long ago.
Ergo, more time spent in Ubuntu.

Paul