[Vision2020] rebate checks

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Thu May 8 00:55:03 PDT 2008

HELENA, MT—Saying the extra bit of kindling material couldn't have
come at a better time, 43-year-old school teacher Tim Donaldson
received his $618 rebate check from the Internal Revenue Service
Tuesday, and then immediately burned it to provide warmth for his wife
and two sons. "It gets pretty cold here at night," said Donaldson,
adding that with 75 percent of his take-home pay going toward car and
mortgage payments, his children's schooling, and his wife's medical
bills, the rare opportunity to sleep in a warm house for a night was
much appreciated. "I just want to thank the government for sending
such a large check. It burned for quite a while." Donaldson, who could
not afford matches or fuel to light the check, said he made do by
placing the envelope's clear plastic address window at an angle
underneath the sun to spark the initial flame, which his family then
huddled around until they fell asleep.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/economic_stimulus_check

-- ACS