[Vision2020] The Fetus is Not a Baby and is not a Person

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed May 7 20:59:06 PDT 2008

Chas,

  God is the big prick when we were the ones that tortured and made his Son suffer? Something is messed up with that reasoning.

  As you understand time, God is not waiting around for hundreds of billions of years. Time doesn't exist outside the Universe where God dwells.

  I also don't think you follow that it hurts God for his Son to be tortured as much as it would you.

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

Chasuk <chasuk at gmail.com> wrote:
  On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Donovan Arnold
wrote:

> Really Chas? If it was someone you loved nailed to that cross, would you
> feel so lightly about it? I bet you would break and stop it, even if you
> knew it would end in three days. I know I would, I wouldn't last one minute
> watching anyone go through that, and I wouldn't last one second going
> through what he went through hanging from that cross. If you think what
> Jesus went through for your sins was easy, why don't you try it? You're just
> talk'in big.

Well, to be fair, understand that I consider the
crucifixion/resurrection story to be just a ghoulish fiction. But
I'll play along for a moment. First, I'd have to be God. Omniscient,
omnipotent, the works. God, being God, could have written the
script differently, but he didn't. So I'm going to grant that for
some inexplicable reason the best plan that I could come up with
involved the torture of my son. Second, I would know that my son was
godly, in the literal sense, meaning that enduring the trials and
tribulations of being human -- including pain -- were a lot easier for
him than it was for the mere mortals he was saving. Jesus had
complete knowledge, after all. Knowing for sure that you weren't
really in danger of dying would make the crucifixion business a whole
lot easier. God, being God, knew that Jesus knew this, and he knew it
with absolute clarity. Still, watching your son suffer would suck, I
agree. I wouldn't permit it for my children, not even if it saved
the entire world. Of course, that's because I'm not God, so I don't
get my kids back after three days, and their suffering, being without
perfect understanding, would be a lot worse than what Jesus suffered.
I'm not sure that I would allow my kids to suffer this way even if
they possessed all of the benefits that Jesus did, regardless of the
billions of souls it would benefit.

So yeah, it likely sucked for God to watch Jesus suffer, but it
couldn't have bothered him as much as it would bother me, because he
planned it. In order to be able to plan, and carry out, the torture
of your own son millions or billions of years in advance, there must
be something going on, some part of the story that we don't know,
otherwise God would just be a big prick, don't you think?

Chas