[Vision2020] Sali Seeks to Delay Mexican Consulate

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun May 4 16:29:36 PDT 2008

I was being somewhat sarcastic, Ted, and I guess it didn't come through.  Ideally, you and I and everyone else who cares about justice would have a never-ending, unfading glow of pride in the United States' demonstrated commitment to basic human and civil rights -- but the reality, as you note below, is that our country has had a deplorable history of treating with righteousness and justice the poor, the vulnerable, the lost and the powerless.  My intent was to remind Donovan, et al, that the very things we believe to be wonderful (wonderful, not unique) about the U.S. are those that cause consternation when others paraphrasing -- recklessly -- documents like the Guia. del Migrantes Mexicanos.

That the U.S. is the hope and dream of many of the world's oppressed people makes it all the more shameful and bitterly ironic when those immigrants, detainees, and refugees are denied basic human rights.  I consider it a minimum moral standard that undocumented immigrants be treated humanely and within the bounds of the Constitution, and my point to Donovan was that disseminating information about an immigrant's civil rights in the U.S. hardly constitutes an act of hostility toward the Constitution but rather a confirmation of its moral sense.

And, speaking of morals, I wish Donovan would dispense with the "Rev. Keely, moral elitist" thing.  I think I deserve, frankly, to have "moral elitist" capitalized . . .

Keely