[Vision2020] Hawkins Water and Sewer Infrastructure Costs

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Mon Mar 31 00:18:10 PDT 2008

g asks:

"What is it about not receiving any revenue for
services is there that will make everything better?"

I would assume that if Moscow wasn't receiving revenue
from Hawkins, it would be because Moscow is not
providing services to them.  If Moscow is not
providing services to Hawkins, that means less wear
and tear of Moscow's infrastructure which means less
likelihood Moscow ratepayers will have to spend rate
payments on infrastructure upgrades, which means less
potential for rate increases.

Are you sure that when you write "Built into the rate
is an amount to cover maintenance and future
upgrades", that rates are actually covering future
upgrades?  If so, do you know the extent of potential
future upgrades that it covers?  For example, from
what I understand, rate payers outside of Moscow pay
about twice the rate as Moscow folk, but that is to
pay for extending the service to those people outside
of the city.  So I wonder, how does the city calculate
how much of the rate should be dedicated to future
upgrades for Moscow ratepayers?

In any case, I agree that Hawkins would be paying into
that same upgrade fund that may exist.  I see, though,
that some upgrades that happen will likely result in
rate increases for Moscow ratepayers.  For example, if
the sewer system needs upgrades (expansions) to handle
the increased capacity (at some point it will reach
peak input) that will likely mean increased costs for
all users.

>From what I understand, any future bonds will probably
have the same payment system where all rate payers pay
the bond, but that would mean there would be a rate
increase to pay for that.

In other words, if Hawkins doesn't use our sewer
system, we will be less likely to have our rates for
sewer use increased due to bonds to pay for
expansions.

For water, the more water Moscow is seen as drawing,
the more likely IDWR will deny future water requests
for use in Moscow.  This would have implications on
developing Moscow for either housing, retail or
industrial needs.  Whether this happens when 100 acre
feet more are used, or 10,000 af, it seems that at
some point IDWR will cut Moscow off from further water
withdrawals.  The 65 af Hawkins may get from Moscow
represents 1 to 2% of Moscow's current water use.
That seems like a significant increase for one
development to use.

So, I would assume that by not providing these
services to Hawkins, Moscow will have more resources
to devote to Moscow residents.  Whether that makes
everything better, we may never know.

You write:

"please point out to me the upside for Moscow of
standing firm and having nothing to do with the
inevitable development on the west side of out border.
Just exactly what benefits will it bring?"

I agree this is a complex issue (thus our countless
posts on v2020 trying to figure this out), and we may
be dealing with the inevitable, and that Moscow may as
well make the best of a bad situation.  But if Moscow
stands strong against development on the East end of
the corridor, we may be able to influence the extent
of what that development is.  If all we can get out of
this is for Hawkins to commit to building a "green"
shopping center, that seems better than one that would
have more of an environmental impact.  If Moscow is
able to reduce the size of the mall, or have influence
in the type of stores that will be doing business
there, or even other industries that may move into the
corridor, it seems better than just bowing down and
letting these developments steam roll right on
through.  It seems Moscow has only enabled those
developments, though, by agreeing to help reduce the
infrastructure costs for Whitman County for the
largest shopping area in the region, which will kick
start the development of the East end of the corridor
more than ever.

What I am still wondering is if the council, during
the mediation, could have enticed Hawkins to
reconsider developing in Moscow.  Did the council
think about rezoning in Moscow for Hawkins?  Was that
even a possibility?  From what I know, Hawkins hasn't
bought the land yet.  Though they may have spent a lot
of money developing plans for their site, they may
have wanted to ease the controversy by considering
building in Moscow, rather than starting out on such a
controversial foot.

So, if the council was firm with Hawkins about the
council's desire to do what is best for Moscow, and
not the East end of the corridor, Hawkins may have
accepted an offer by the council to consider building
in Moscow, instead of the corridor, which would have
lessened the inevitability of corridor development,
which would have brought benefits to Moscow.

What we will lose if development in the corridor
happens rather than in the existing cities is
increased congestion on the highway between the two
cities, less revenue for the existing businesses in
the cities, more dependency on cars to "get yer
shoppin' done," a higher impact on the sad Paradise
Creek and a repeat of what is going on all over the
country: increased mall sprawl that seems to me to be
the exact oppisite of sustainable or "smart growth."
Do we really want to let this area become a carbon
copy of California, or the Puget Sound?  It seems we
could do much better if we thought about the long-term
impacts these developments will have.  Once Hawkins is
there, it won't go away.  It will forever change the
destiny of Moscow.

But, then again, this all may be pure speculation...

gclev

=== message truncated ===