[Vision2020] Hawkins Water and Sewer Infrastructure Costs

g. crabtree jampot at roadrunner.com
Sun Mar 30 15:09:06 PDT 2008

"Moscow will make money selling these services to Hawkins, but whether that matches lost tax revenue in Moscow, lost revenue for business owners in Moscow who will have to face greater competition with Hawkins around, or covers the cost of upgrading the system that will be stretched even more by Hawkins, without the need for Moscow rate-payers to pitch in and pay, too, remains dubious."

Lets assume, for the sake of your argument, that you are 100% correct and the Hawkins development does result in major loses for Moscow taxpayers and merchants. What is it about not receiving any revenue for services is there that will make everything better?

"There is a finite amount that Moscow's infrastructure can be used before it needs to be upgraded.  If ratepayers have to upgrade the infrastructure sooner because of Hawkins' use, I would say Moscow rate-payers are subsidizing Hawkins by having to pay for upgrading due to Hawkins."

The rates set for users is not just to cover the water that is used. Built into the rate is an amount to cover maintenance and future upgrades. If the system requires upgrading, Hawkins will be paying their fair share.

The sad fact of the matter is that geography is not in our favor when it comes to development between Moscow and Pullman. When I was probably 11 years old (or at whatever age thoughts beyond what's for supper kicked in) and I traveled between our two communities I knew that eventually that the two university towns would inevitably grow together and I find it hard to believe that any rational person doesn't come to the same conclusion. Coming to grips with this fact and developing strategies to cope strike me as a far more productive use of time and resources than the endless complaining and impotent posturing. If I'm wrong, please point out to me the upside for Moscow of standing firm and having nothing to do with the inevitable development on the west side of out border. Just exactly what benefits will it bring?