[Vision2020] PCEI Climate Change Forum Discussion On Local Blog

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 17:52:25 PDT 2008

Even though I tend to be skeptical of many of the doomsday scenarios
that seem to crop up in this debate, I do find it hard to believe that
they are apparently denying anthropogenic global warming.  It seems
pretty clear to me that we are having some effect on our environment,
and that the greenhouse effect due to carbon dioxide is part of the
problem.  As I've said many times before, there are plenty of other
reasons to reduce our dependence on oil, this is just one of them.  I'm
still skeptical of the magnitude, though.

That being said, the research I've seen that references satellite data
that shows that our sun is increasing in brightness seems pretty telling
to me.  I'm skeptical of the sunspot cycles and the Maunder minimum
having that great of an effect also, though I'm hoping that research in
that direction will continue, but the fact that the big ball of fusing
hydrogen that gives us all our energy in one way or another (except
possibly for radioactive elements buried in the Earth or energy from
tides) is getting brighter (and presumably warmer) seems like it ought
to be important.  Trying to determine the effect of greenhouse gases
inside our atmosphere in such a complex system seems inherently
difficult and thus to some degree I'm skeptical of the magnitude of it.
Clear readings from space is a lot less ambiguous.

That doesn't mean that we don't have a problem on our hands, but I think
that some people go too far to try to blame every part of climate change
on the evil oil barons.  The global warming party line is to blame it
all on us, and to decree that reducing our carbon footprint will solve
the problem.  I haven't reviewed much scientific literature on their
predictions, but I think that's a pretty bold thing to say without some
detailed predictions that have been made that accurately described the
climate change over a sizable period of time.  I'd also like to hear
some ideas about how to fight global warming given the assumption that
reducing our carbon footprint isn't enough, or, failing that, some ideas
about how to survive it better.

Paul