[Vision2020] Smart Growth/ was Recall the city council

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 01:10:39 PDT 2008

Garrett et. al.

Thanks for your continued reasonable engagement on these issues, and not
from an ad hominem approach, very common on Vision2020, even from those who
pose as reasonable...

You wrote:

I'd say the owner of the mall isn't really concerned about building
community, on top of not caring if his tenants are losing business.
------------
Do you really think the mall owner would want to deliberately undermine the
business interests of his tenants?  Perhaps there are reasons for the
Wheatland bus stop denial at the Palouse Mall that are unexplored, perhaps
the decision was unintentionally bad for business, if you are correct.

I agree with much of what you present on these issues, but perhaps the
intentions of those on the Moscow City Council, and other business
interests, are not as sinister as you imply?  I do not want to discount the
selfish, secretive and profit oriented motivations of business concerns, or
politicians who may be inclined to make deals with the rich and powerful,
for whatever motives, but good well intentioned people sometimes just make
bad decisions, believing they are doing the right thing, even at the top of
multinational corporations.

Consider this 2008 discussion with Jeroen van der Veer, CEO of Royal Dutch
Shell, a giant in the oil industry.  He is facing the science indicating the
dangers of anthropogenic climate change, even speaking positively about Al
Gore's efforts on this issue, as he continues to head a corporation in large
measure responsible for an energy economy loading the atmosphere with CO2.
As I unpacked his comments, I surmised he sincerely wants to ensure a
healthy planet for the future (I'm trying to be positive), but the realities
of his business and the demands of the marketplace are what they are...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/19/business/19interview.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, as it has been said.

Ted Moffett