[Vision2020] New pledge of alligance written by a 15 year old in Arizona

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 20:22:24 PDT 2008

Donovan Arnold wrote:
> Paul,
>
> You missed what I said. I said that people that refuse to say
> the pledge to this country, not people that cannot. Obviously, someone
> who is a minor, deaf, has there tongue cut out, has advanced MS, or
> someone who is mentally incapable of consenting, could say the pledge.
> People that have not yet learned the language, that can learn, should
> learn, then get citizenship, not the other way around.

Fine, that's not the main problem with this idea anyway.

> "What you have left are the blindly obedient, the people who don't give a
> rat's ass, and the people who have no problem saying the Pledge even if
> they don't agree with what it says, i.e. people who don't care whether
> or not they lie to your face. "
>
> Sorry, Paul, that you have such a low opinion of people as to call all
> that say the pledge are blindly obedient. I think a person can be
> critical of their own country without thinking of it less than any
> other country.
>
> What it would do, is it would get rid of the hypocrites that think
> that this country is something awful, while benefiting from it. It
> would expose those that are constantly trying to rip it down, and side
> with its enemies.

First, this "siding with it's enemies" crap can and should be thrown out
completely.  This country is a democracy, it's built up by the people
that live here.  Finding it's flaws and fixing them is far more
patriotic than whitewashing them or pretending they look better than
they do.  The fact that we have enemies that also see our flaws does
nothing to make those same flaws go away.  Who is more patriotic?  The
person that says "I don't care what they do or have done, I love my
country!", or those that say "Hell no!  I won't let you dishonor the
ideals this country was founded upon!"

> If you think China, India, England, France, Denmark, Mexico, Japan,
> Sweden, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Scotland, Thailand, any other
> nation, is better than the USA, then you should NOT be a US citizen,
> you should instead be a citizen of that nation, not ours. Your
> loyalties are with them, not the people of this country. This is a
> pretty simple concept.

Well, I got my citizenship merely by being born here.  I will tell you
though, that if anyone tries to force me to say a loyalty pledge or get
tossed out, there is no way in hell I'd say it no matter how much I
liked what it said.  That's what it comes down to, really.  The very
idea of it is bad enough.  Forget the specific theocracy-centered
wording of it.

It saddens me that there are people in this country who would even think
it up.

Paul