[Vision2020] Recall the city council

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 11:26:32 PDT 2008

Like we didn't see this coming?

  The Moscow City Council rejected fair efforts by Wal-Mart to play ball according to the rules laid out by Moscow. Now Wal-Mart is going across the street to play ball over there. You didn't think that was going to happen? Of course it is.

  This is why people, economic professors included, were saying to the then Moscow City Council and Mayor to work with Wal-Mart so we have the revenue, set the environmental standards, and the layout to our advantage.

  When a handful of noisy vocal, we know what's best, residents showed up to threaten the council if they voted to support Wal-Mart, they with that vote, gave 100% of the power, revenue, and jobs to Whitman County, just one mile away. Was it worth it? I think not.

  Wal-Mart is much bigger than Moscow, and will have a Super Center in the area, regardless of a few efforts by some community members. The Anti-Wal-Mart effort was only successful in preventing a Green Wal-Mart that brought jobs and revenue to the community from coming into the Moscow city limits. It was not successful in anything else.

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

roger hayes <rhayes at turbonet.com> wrote:

> Moscow citizens need to take a good look at what the city council's
> decision to provide water and sewer to the Hawkins company will bring.
> Yesterday's Daily News posted some serious speculation about WalMart
> building a Super Center in the Hawkin's development. Earlier, I did
> have a suspicion that was a distinct possibility. I could not see how
> a Lowes could be the anchor store. WalMart, Idaho division, remains
> tight lipped about its plans, but would not rule out the possibility.
> A local WalMart employee speculated that it is a reality.
> By providing water and sewer service across the state line, Moscow
> taxpayers may now subsidize the construction of WalMart. Whitman
> county taxpayers are providing over 10 million in infrastructure
> development. This is an ultimate irony since both communities have
> waged campaigns against the building of a Super Center in their
> communities. And in Moscow's case, we are dealing a vast economic blow
> to our community.
> Much more is going on than we citizens know. What other "deals" are
> happening behind closed doors?
> I do feel that if WalMart comes in it will prove how inept, and most
> likely, corrupt the current Moscow city council is. The council will
> no doubt plead ignorance, and do so with an arrogant smile.
We need to do something and do it quickly. Any ideas?

> Roger Hayes

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com