[Vision2020] A Rather Interesting Article

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Mar 22 08:29:21 PDT 2008

A brief commentary before the article . . .

>From the article:

"Hal Styles Jr. has never been to Idaho, but he'd like to be the state's
next U.S. senator.

 . .

Styles said he's planning to move to Idaho, probably in about six weeks,
though he's long been a resident of Southern California, where he's a real
estate broker, flight instructor and retired securities broker."

What makes me think that Mr. Styles is going to find it nearly impossible
for him to be elected as Idaho's next U.S. senator?

Could you imagine Mr. Styles on the campaign trail up north in, say . . .
Naples or Bonners Ferry, walking into a local tavern on a Friday or
saturday evening, and introducing himself . . .

"Hi.  I'm Hal Styles.  I am a real estate broker from southern california
and I want to be your next U.S. senator."

I'm guessing that Mr. Styles will get as far as "I am a real estate broker
from southern Cali" before some fifth-generation Idaho logger get up from
the bar and introduces Mr. Styles to some Idaho real estate in a fashion
that 19 years ago convinced me to remove the California license plates
from my Jeep Wrangler.

That said . . .

>From today's (March 22, 2008) Spokesman Review -

Senate seat attracts 13 candidates
List includes Risch, LaRocco and a true outsider

Betsy Z. Russell
Staff writer

Hal Styles Jr. has never been to Idaho, but he'd like to be the state's
next U.S. senator.

Styles noted that current Idaho Sen. Larry Craig is leaving office, "as
well he should," and said, "Idaho being one of the 10 best places to live
and heavily Republican, which is what I am, I thought, well, this
particular man can no longer serve the constituents well, and I can. So I
threw my hat in the ring."

Styles was one of 13 candidates to file for the post by Friday's 5 p.m.
deadline, including eight Republicans. Among the hopefuls: Idaho Lt. Gov.
Jim Risch, a Republican; former U.S. Rep. Larry LaRocco, a Democrat; Coeur
d'Alene businessman Richard Phenneger, a Republican; and Pro-Life, an
independent who legally changed his name from Marvin Richardson.

Styles said he's planning to move to Idaho, probably in about six weeks,
though he's long been a resident of Southern California, where he's a real
estate broker, flight instructor and retired securities broker. By law,
Senate candidates are required only to reside in the state on the date of
the November election.

Asked if he's been to Idaho, Styles said, "In a word, no. However, I have
read enormous quantities about it, and so I know that it is a beautiful
state with more high mountains (and) … beautiful people. It's heavily
Republican, and it's my kind of state."

Styles, who's been an unsuccessful GOP candidate for Congress and for the
California State Board of Equalization, said he first thought of moving to
the Gem State about a year ago when he read that it was ranked among the
10 best places to live. He now lives in Desert Hot Springs, near Palm
Springs.

The woes of Idaho's senior senator – Craig said in September he'd resign
after news surfaced that he'd pleaded guilty in an airport restroom sex
sting, but then changed his mind and decided to serve out his term before
retiring – clinched the decision for Styles.

He said he stands for lower taxes, less government, strong
defense, "traditional American virtues of family," patriotism and Ronald
Reagan-style Republicanism. "You put all those together with the love that
I have for the gorgeous state of Idaho which I've read about for years and
years and years, and I will make, without a doubt, the most outstanding
senator that Idaho has ever had or will have," Styles declared.

Other candidates in the race:

Republicans: Risch; Phenneger; Fred M. Adams, of Idaho Falls; William E.
Hunter III, of Rexburg; Iraq veteran Scott A. Syme, of Wilder; Brian E.
Hefner, of Sweet; and Neal Thompson, of McCall.

Democrats: LaRocco, the former two-term 1st District congressman; and
David J. Archuleta, of Fort Hall.

Libertarian: Kent A. Marmon, of Caldwell.

Independents: Pro-Life, formerly known as Marvin Richardson, an organic
strawberry farmer from near Emmett; and Rex Rammell, a former elk rancher
from Rexburg.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)