[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for March 21, 2008

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Mar 21 05:59:02 PDT 2008

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for March 21, 2008.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
March 21, 2008

Dear Friends,

On Monday, the University of Idaho and four other regional institutions of
higher education will sign a memorandum of understanding declaring our
cooperation in delivering quality education and services to American
Indians. I'll join with the presidents of Lewis-Clark State College, North
Idaho College, Northwest Indian College and Washington State University
for a ceremony at 2 p.m. at the Nez Perce National Historical Park
Spalding site, adjacent to the park's Visitor's Center, 11 miles east of
Lewiston.

This is a significant expansion of our previous agreements with several
Northwest tribes, and will coordinate the efforts of individual colleges
and universities toward a common goal. Under the agreement, the colleges
and universities will work together on recruitment, retention, transition
and graduation of American Indian students; provide focused Native
American studies; and collaborate on other programs or services relating
to Native American education and outreach. We will establish a joint
committee, known as the Native American Collaborations Committee, which
will report to the provosts of the five institutions.

This week, I was pleased to introduce alumna Nancy Morris '83 as she
presented the keynote address at our College of Business and Economics and
College of Law luncheon in Boise. Nancy's visit was timely: March is
Women's History Month, and we were able to recognize her role as the first
woman to serve as Secretary of the U.S. Securities and Exchange
Commission. Nancy truly reflects the University's legacy of leading.

Another example of our legacy is Army Capt. Brian Gilbert '00. Brian is
one of just 28 Company Grade officers from throughout the entire U.S. Army
selected to receive the General Douglas MacArthur Leadership Award. The
award is presented to officers who "epitomize the ideals for which Gen.
Douglas MacArthur stood; duty, honor and country." Brian trained in the
University of Idaho's ROTC program under then-Colonel Lloyd Mues '77.
Brian married a Vandal, Kasey '97, and is the brother of Bill Gilbert '97.
Brian currently commands more than 130 soldiers in D Company, 1-15
Infantry, serving in Baghdad, Iraq. The company will finish their 15-month
deployment in May and return to the U.S. This is his third deployment to
Iraq in his Army career. An award ceremony will take place in the
Pentagon's Hall of Heroes in April.

My congratulations to Brian and Nancy for their leadership. They make us
very proud indeed.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Constitutional scholar Kenneth W. Starr, dean and professor of law at
Pepperdine University School of Law, will present the University of
Idaho's Bellwood Lecture, "The Enduring Constitutional Conversation: Mr.
Hamilton and Mr. Jefferson," on Monday, April 21 at 4 p.m. in the
University Auditorium. The event is free and open to the public. Seating
is on a first-come, first-served basis. Overflow seating is available in
the university's J.A. Albertson Building, Rooms 101 and 112. Starr became
known to the general public when he was appointed by a three-judge federal
court panel in 1994 to serve as independent counsel for the Whitewater
land transactions case, an appointment that eventually was broadened by
the court to include additional matters, including alleged obstruction of
justice by President Bill Clinton in cases involving claims of sexual
relations.

The University's sixth annual Sapatq'ayn Cinema series is March 26-29 at
the Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre in downtown Moscow. More than a dozen
Native American films will be shown during the four-day event. All films
are free to the public and screenings begin at 7 p.m. each evening. More
information is available online at:

www.webs.uidaho.edu/SapatqaynCinema

Wray '63 and Barbara Ware '65 Featherstone surprised Karen White, chair of
the Operation Education Scholarship Program, with keys to a six-passenger
Timberline golf cart. It will be used by Operation Education participants
who are disabled as a result of military service since September 11,
2001.  "Our family donated the golf cart in memory of Barbara's brother,
Lt. Donald Frank Ware, who served his country and lost his life," said
Wray.  "Don loved his time at the University of Idaho - it was home to him
always. The Operation Education Scholarship Program has given our family a
chance to help veterans integrate into society by achieving their goal of
a college education.  We need theseveterans on our campus and in our
society - their success gives us so much more than most people realize."
To apply for or donate to Operation Education, visit:

www.uidaho.edu/OperationEducation

or contact Heidi C. Linehan at (208) 885-5304 or (208) 301-2443.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3