[Vision2020] Satanism Was: Of, By

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 15 22:55:20 PDT 2008

I would like to split what you are saying into two separate subjects,
because I have a different response for each.  The two subjects are
Church and State, and Overly Aggressive Political Correctness.

I can sympathize with the people who wish to take "Under God" out of the
Pledge.  If it was simply the original wording from way back when, it
wouldn't really be a problem.  However, it was placed there relatively
recently (1940's?).  I think that was a mistake and should probably be
rectified.  Like Chas, though, I don't consider it worth the effort.  I
also don't care much about the "In God We Trust" on the currency.  It
would spend the same way if it said "In Allah We Trust" or "In Big Juju
We Trust".  The thing that kills me about this topic is that if
Christianity was a minority religion and some other religion was being
favored in our classrooms and on our currency, they would all be up in
arms.  That's the reason Church and State need to be separated.

On the topic of political correctness, I can agree.  Although I
celebrate the Winter Solstice with probably the same amount of fervor as
your average Christian celebrates Christmas, I don't care much if
someone say "Merry Christmas" to me.  I take it in the spirit it was
given.  If someone wishes me a happy Kwanzaa, I'll take it the same way.

I also don't think the idea is to weed God out of our daily lives.  Just
let the government stay neutral.  Protecting the rights of citizens to
worship as they wish was one of the major driving forces of the founding
of this country.  Keeping the government neutral was meant to help that,
not hinder it.

Paul