[Vision2020] Global Warming Contrarians Exposed

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 01:39:21 PDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Ted Moffett <starbliss at gmail.com> wrote:

> Chas et. al.

> I disagree that none of the Vision2020 list members are "qualified to make a
> useful judgement" about the probability that anthropogenic warming is
> occurring due to human impacts, and that it is a serious problem that should
> be addressed substantively and soon.

I didn't say "none," I said "very few (if any)," which does admit the
possibility of some Vision2020 members being qualified to make useful
judgments about anthropogenic warming.

> for this issue to be addressed substantively, on
> the level of personal commitment and political action, the public needs to
> be scientifically educated

I agree, but it isn't going to happen.  This is a complicated
scientific issue, and USians suck at making rational decisions about
science.  We make emotional decisions about everything.  Consider
nuclear power and creationism/evolution in schools.  How long have
those debates been going on?  Scopes Trial, anyone?

> But to give the impression that the understanding of current climate change
> science, when viewed from an open minded assessment of all published peer
> reviewed work, is uncertain regarding the basic conclusion that the human
> impacts of CO2 emissions on the Earth's climate system are significant, is
> to just plain distort the truth.

Again, I provisionally agree.  However, I'm not going to spend 5
minutes reading the arguments for either side.  Our environments
broke, I believe you.  Now fix it.  Speaking for myself, I will never
understand the science.  I don't grok the "hard sciences."  I never
will.  I'm a humanities type of guy.  But I don't know how my car
works, either.  I don't care.  I take it to a mechanic to fix it, who
is a "car scientist."

The public does need to be convinced in order for the politicians to
be be sufficiently motivated, yes, but scientific explanation won't do
it.  Start mimicking lobbyists and savvy activists.  They turned
abortionists into baby murderers and estate tax into death tax.  We
need to use the language if we are going to convince Joe and Suzy
Public.  Convince them that for every centimeter the oceans rise, God
kills 10 kittens.  That would do it.  I'm being facetious, but barely.

Chas