[Vision2020] Global Warming Contrarians Exposed

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 00:46:30 PDT 2008

Chas et. al.

I disagree that none of the Vision2020 list members are "qualified to make a
useful judgement" about the probability that anthropogenic warming is
occurring due to human impacts, and that it is a serious problem that should
be addressed substantively and soon.

I am not a certified climate scientist, and even if I was, I would still
require the assessment of the community of climate scientists around the
world to make the sort of judgement we are considering regarding the
scientific consensus on this issue.

I have been corresponding with a few of the most published climate
scientists in the world, and they do not take the elitist "the hoi polloi
can't comprehend the arcane, esoteric and genius level cognition involved"
view of the public ability to understand the basics of climate science.
They know very well that for this issue to be addressed substantively, on
the level of personal commitment and political action, the public needs to
be scientifically educated enough on the issue to not be susceptible to the
well funded attempts to shed doubt and uncertainty regarding the science
involved, for very transparent financial motivations.

If the IPCC 2007 report, representing thousands of climate scientists around
the world, gives a 90%+ probability that global warming is primarily human
caused, and represents a high probability of negative impacts, I respect the
scientific community and the scientific method enough to conclude this is a
reliable analysis.  Might they be wrong?  Might they be motivated by
politics, career advancement on the global warming bandwagon, pursuit of
grants and publishing kudos, big money book sales on global warming scare
screeds?  Perhaps.  Or maybe the science is just plain wrong.  It is
possible.  There are some climate scientists who are very brilliant who
dispute the basic conclusions of the IPCC, Richard Lindzen of MIT being one
of the more notable.

But to give the impression that the understanding of current climate change
science, when viewed from an open minded assessment of all published peer
reviewed work, is uncertain regarding the basic conclusion that the human
impacts of CO2 emissions on the Earth's climate system are significant, is
to just plain distort the truth.

Some think that Al Gore has done more harm than good, in his role as a
spokesperson for human caused climate change, given his history as a
controversial politician distracting the discussion away from the objective
science, onto the more emotional and biased realm of political subjectivity.

Naomi Oreskes work exposing the deliberate campaign to shed doubt in the
public mind, using the media, about the scientific consensus on
anthropogenic climate change, is compelling.  No one directly addressed her
work when responding in this thread, which is what the subject line is all
about:

*http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.asp?showID=13459*<http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.asp?showID=13459>

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett