[Vision2020] Texas Soldier Gets Silver Star

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Mar 10 06:34:05 PDT 2008

For those of you who still believe that women should not serve in combat,
there are several soldiers and families that are thankful that Spec.
Monica Lin Brown of the 82nd Airborne Division doesn't feel that way.

>From today's (March 10, 2008) Spokesman Review -

Texas woman gets Silver Star
Medic is second female since WWII to receive honor
Fisnik Abrashi
Associated Press
March 10, 2008

http://tinyurl.com/2hvkju
Spc. Monica Lin Brown, from Lake Jackson, Texas, of 82 Airborne stands
guard March 9, 2008 at a forwarded operating base in Khost, Afghanistan.

CAMP SALERNO, Afghanistan – A 19-year-old medic from Texas will become the
first woman in Afghanistan and only the second female soldier since World
War II to receive the Silver Star, the nation's third-highest medal for
valor.

Army Spc. Monica Lin Brown saved the lives of fellow soldiers after a
roadside bomb tore through a convoy of Humvees in the eastern Paktia
province on April 25, 2007, the military said.

After the explosion, which wounded five soldiers in her unit, Brown ran
through insurgent gunfire and used her body to shield wounded comrades as
mortars fell less than 100 yards away, the military said.

"I did not really think about anything except for getting the guys to a
safer location and getting them taken care of and getting them out of
there," Brown said Saturday at a U.S. base in the eastern province of
Khost.

Brown, of Lake Jackson, Texas, is scheduled to receive the Silver Star
later this month. She was part of a four-vehicle convoy patrolling near
Jani Kheil when a bomb struck one of the Humvees.

"We stopped the convoy. I opened up my door and grabbed my aid bag," Brown
said.

She started running toward the burning vehicle as insurgents opened fire.
All five wounded soldiers had scrambled out.

"I assessed the patients to see how bad they were. We tried to move them
to a safer location because we were still receiving incoming fire," Brown
said.

Pentagon policy prohibits women from serving in front-line combat roles –
in the infantry, armor or artillery, for example. But the nature of the
wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, with no real front lines, has seen women
soldiers take part in close-quarters combat more than during previous
conflicts.

Four Army nurses in World War II were the first women to receive the
Silver Star, though three nurses serving in World War I were awarded the
medal posthumously last year, according to the Army's Web site.

Sgt. Leigh Ann Hester, of Nashville, Tenn., received the Silver Star in
2005 for gallantry during an insurgent ambush on a convoy in Iraq. Two men
from her unit, the 617th Military Police Company of Richmond, Ky., also
received the Silver Star for their roles in the same action.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)