[Vision2020] NOAA: 2007 Land Average Global Temperature Warmest In 128 Year Record

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 15:14:01 PST 2008

To "Off List" contact in this thread:

I presented the current data from NOAA, which contradicts your assessment.
You must think the NOAA data to be flawed:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2007/ann/global.html#gtemp

In the statistical quicksand world of climate science, with more variables
and methods of adding and subtracting them then can be understood by most
people, the claims and counters claims can be incredible.

I hardly think that a world wide combined (land and ocean) average
temperature in 2007 as the fifth warmest in the 128 year record represents a
"significant decline in worldwide temperatures," as you wrote.  In fact, the
land temperature data from NOAA for 2007 indicates the land temperature
global average was the warmest on record.  The first set of numbers are the
anomaly above the average of the temperature record, ranking follows, and
the warmest or next warmest year is given last, with its anomaly:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2007/ann/global.html#gtemp
  Land
Ocean
Land and Ocean
+1.02°C (+1.84°F)
+0.38°C (+0.68°F)
+0.55°C (+0.99°F)
warmest
9th warmest
5th warmest
2005 (+0.97°C/1.75°F)
2003 (+0.48°C/0.86°F)
2005 (+0.60°C/1.08°F)
-------------------
Winter 2007-8 may have shown a significant decline in world wide
temperatures, but one season does not qualify as a long term trend.  We
shall see what happens during the whole year 2008, as far as the continuing
trend of the past decade of yearly global average temperature being
significantly above the average for the 128 year record that NOAA sources.

No one expects anthropogenic warming to be perfectly linear from year to
year anyway, with every year warmer than the last, at least among the
scientists I have read who are not deliberately seeking to find flaws in the
consensus science on climate change.  Several variables, from both human and
natural sources, can cause cooling, so some future years may average
significantly cooler.  There is the increasing well understood impact of
global dimming to consider, the cooling effect of human sourced aerosols in
the atmosphere, which is masking global warming to a significant degree, and
volcanic activity alone can lower world wide temperatures due to emissions
blocking sunlight.

China is dumping huge amounts of dirty coal burning sourced aerosols into
the atmosphere, pollution that is drifting across the Pacific and hitting
the USA, so though the CO2 from this coal burning will have a long term
warming effect (CO2 can remain in the atmosphere for 100 years), the
aerosols have a short term cooling effect, till they dissipate.
--------------

>From NOAA:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2007/ann/global.html#gtemp

Temperature Trends

During the past century, global surface
temperatures<http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/2007/ann/global-jan-dec-error-bar-pg.gif>have
increased at a rate near
0.05°C/decade (0.09°F/decade), but this trend has increased to a rate of
approximately 0.15°C/decade (0.27°F/decade) during the past 25 to 30 years.
There have been two sustained periods of warming, one beginning around 1910
and ending around 1945, and the most recent beginning about 1976.
Temperatures during the latter period of warming have increased at a rate
comparable to the rates of warming projected to occur during the next
century with continued increases of anthropogenic greenhouse
gases.<http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html>
Here is the URL to the temperature data under discussion that might
contradict NOAA's report on 2007 average global temperature, though I am not
not sure it really does contradict NOAA, if understood correctly:

http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/2008/02/19/january-2008-4-sources-say-globally-cooler-in-the-past-12-months/

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett