[Vision2020] Bill Links Land Use, Global Warming

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Mar 8 08:01:10 PST 2008

>From today's (March 8, 2008) Spokesman review -

"And they [denser communities] reduce the need for costly water lines,
sewer systems, roads, bridges and so on. Sprawl, the Spokane Democrat
says, is costly."

Bill links land use, global warming
House OKs Sen. Marr's plan, which fights sprawl

http://tinyurl.com/2t75nl
Washington State Bill 6580
Addressing the impacts of climate change through the growth management act.

OLYMPIA – As state Sen. Chris Marr sees it, a key way to combat global
warming – and save taxpayer dollars – is to encourage people to live in
denser communities.

Such communities cut down on car trips, for one thing. And they reduce the
need for costly water lines, sewer systems, roads, bridges and so on.
Sprawl, the Spokane Democrat says, is costly.

But that idea has been difficult to convey in the Statehouse, where many
of Marr's fellow Eastern Washington lawmakers fear a threat to rural
lifestyles and jobs.

It looks like Marr's vision won.

Early Friday morning, the state House of Representatives approved his bill
encouraging local governments to consider global warming as a factor in
land-use decisions. The Senate is expected to concur, then send the
proposal, Senate Bill 6580, to the governor to be signed into law.

"This is literally the bill with nine lives," said Marr, referring to its
struggles and negotiation.

It's a watered-down version of his original plan, which contained specific
goals and spelled out the steps for large cities and counties. The final
version focuses more on setting up grants to help six cities and three
counties – the city of Spokane is expected to be one of them – figure out
ways to incorporate global warming into planning decisions.

The bill also requires the state to develop software to gauge local
effects on global warming.

Many Republicans are leery of the measure. It's a mistake to link global
warming to the already-controversial Growth Management Act, they say.
Ultimately, many predict, the changes will hurt property rights.

"Please don't tell people in Eastern Washington and other areas that they
are not taking care of their air, their land and their communities," said
Rep. Judy Warnick, R-Moses Lake.

Several said there's no need to rush the proposal.

"It's like we're scurrying to get something done, like something's going
to happen to discredit the whole global-warming thing," said Rep. Ed
Orcutt, R-Kalama.

But Rep. Deb Eddy, D-Kirkland, said it makes sense to try to reduce
discretionary vehicle travel. It would reduce greenhouse gases and gas
consumption, she said.

Rep. Joe Schmick, R-Colfax, said he has no desire to live in a cramped
city, nor should his constituents have to.

"I am selfish," he told lawmakers. "I'm not willing to do this."

Marr says the costs to taxpayers are as big a reason for the change as
global warming. After decades of building homes and businesses farther and
farther from urban centers, he said, taxpayers are left with a longer list
of utilities and roads to maintain.

"There's a growing realization of that," he said. "I think the public is
saying, 'Why do I have to pay for this stuff?' " People are still free to
live where they want, he said. "The question is, should that right be
subsidized by other taxpayers?" he said.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)