[Vision2020] Spec Jeremy Hall -- A Recap and a Request

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 01:05:13 PST 2008

> Is it possible that a person could be BOTH a free thinker and a
> fundamentalist? Or one must be one or the other?

A "free thinker" could, arguably, also be a fundamentalist Christian,
but not a "freethinker." The word "freethinker" has a specific
historical and philosophical definition. It is not literally
synonymous with atheist, but nearly so. The meeting that Hall was
attempting to shepherd was under the auspices of the Military
Association of Atheists and Freethinkers. An inaugural meeting, as I
understand it.

  Fair enough. However, is it possible that Welborn didn't know there was a difference between Free Thinker and Freethinker, since, as you stated, there was no definition of that intended term on the flier? Is it not reasonable to think it was an open meeting designed to think and debate about the existence or non-existence of God?

> How did Welborn break up the meeting? Did he use rank, or was he just
> disruptive? How was he disruptive, what was his demeanor? How did he
> approach the other three people in the room? What were his words?

I think the phrase "verbally berating the attendees" indicates his
demeanor. He made the three enlisted stand at attention as he dressed
them down. I have no idea what his alleged words might have been.

  Which was it, were they standing at attention, or was he belittling them? I don't think having soldiers standing at attention is belittling. If he was making them shine his shoes, or doing push-ups, that might come across to me as belittling. But if they were in standard protocol, I don't think it is abusive.

> How did he threaten Hall? Did he say he would demote him, withdraw his pay, give him a dishonorable discharge? Did he physically threaten him?

He threatened Hall's future promotion prospects.

  What words did he use? Did he say, "If you ________ you will not get _______." What did he say precisely. And what exactly was he reacting to? What did Hall say at the meeting? Does Welborn have the authority to promote and deny promotion to Hall? Do we know that Hall was not doing something that would, in fact, prevent him from not unjustly getting a promotion?.

> What did the fliers that Hall put up say? Could they be perceived as
> inflammatory, insulting, or derogatory to those that believe in any other
> faith? Did he distribute the fliers according to the proper regulation?

They indicated the time and location of the meeting. Nothing less,
nothing more. Yes, the fliers were distributed according to the
proper regulation.

  Do you have a copy of the flier?

> What did Wellborn say they were going to do to disrupt or plot against
> Christians? Were they in fact planning to do something to upset, disrupt,
> disturb, or offend Christians or other members of the military for their
> beliefs?

This isn't indicated in any of the public reports, so I don't know.

  So we don't know if Wellborn had due cause to be concerned. These men could have been discussing ways to disrupt others in their religious pursuits, correct?

> What specific regulations, rules, and laws did Welborn break, if any? Was
> Welborn acting as a ranking officer, or as another solider concerned and
> expressing his opinion at an open public meeting?

Welborn interrupted a lawfully convened meeting, at the very least.
There is no "ranking officer" concept at open public meetings.
Welborn was abusing his rank unless he was, in fact, preventing
plotting that would have been detrimental to esprits de corps, etc.
(insert list of reasonably conjectured reasons here).

  If we don't know what was being said, or planned at the meeting, how can you claim he was acting not in the interests of the public or the military? Why didn't the other men just ignore him if rank was not a factor?

I have known officers (and enlisted) like Welborn. I have personally
been verbally abused, and given punitive duties, for declining to
participate in National Day of Prayer activities. I have no problem
believing Hall's story exactly as reported.

  Have you in fact met Welborn? or are you just guessing and speculating on who Welborn is, and what he is like? Are you projecting experiences with unfit officers you have encountered in your experiences without actually learning what kind of person Welborn is as an individual?
    Best Regards,

  Donovan