[Vision2020] 65 acre feet of water equals $2 million of food

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Wed Mar 5 22:29:11 PST 2008

Pat writes:

"I learned that this deal with Hawkins could be one of
the best things to happen with the corridor and in the
future we will be the better for it. "

Too bad the corridor isn't in Moscow.  Who said that
Moscow would be better for it?  I don't even think
Krauss said that.

Pat writes:

"I could also see the Wayne seemed to be the only
person on the panel who understood the agreement
because he was at the meeting and some were not ready
to respect his actions even tho they were not there."

Based on Wayne's answer, I don't agree that he was the
only one who understood the agreement.  In fact, it
doesn't seem like he really understood what he was
commiting to.

Pat writes:

"I see that Tom is locked into a MCA view of water and
can only see things from the past not looking to the
future."

Good thing for MCA for being concerned about water.  I
would way rather have a group who is encouraging civic
involvement, organizing meetings like this to bring
the city together to talk about our future.  GMA gave
us a councilman who at least admits he is not a
professional politician.  But it doesn't seem like
they are really present for us.  Frankly, we need
professional people to represent us, not amateurs as
appears to be the case.

The only ones looking to the past are people who are
too short-sighted to see the future, which,
unfortunately, is not as rosy as Pat may think it is.
Which means we need to plan accordingly, and not
squander our resources on out of state mall sprawl.

Pat writes:

"And, once again we have a group who believes we will
run out of water and Hawkins is going to cheat us in
everyway possible."

I don't think we will run out of water, but we very
well could see a decline in quality and quantity as
more and more people suck out this slowly
replenishing, yet declining, water supply.  I see
nothing wrong with planning for the future because
there are too many areas where water is a critical
issue because it has been depleted due to no
foresight.  While it may be easy and comfortable to
wear blinders and not learn from history, it isn't
very smart nor taking advantage of our God-given brain
to plan a future that is sustainable.

Hawkins may not necessarily cheat us in everyway
possible,  but as Krauss said, they have lots of money
to hire lawyers who know how to manipulate the
situation to their advantage, and any reasonable
person who looks at what happened and heard Krauss
describe the negotiation would probably conclude that
the council got swindled, or at least, did not get
what we deserve.

What I get from all this is that 2 well-intentioned
people (Pat and myself) interpreted the meeting
completely different.  It just goes to show how
difficult it is to come to an understanding.  I guess
it comes down to where people are coming from and what
they believe to be true to begin with.

I can't say Pat is wrong for the way she interprets
things, but it doesn't jive with what I understand the
situation to be.

gclev