[Vision2020] 65 acre feet of water equals $2 million of food

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Wed Mar 5 22:04:26 PST 2008

Pat writes:

"So you weren't at the meeting last night or heard any
of the
explainations for the vote?? Too bad you might have
learned some things."

I'm not sure why Pat writes this as my post had
nothing to do with an explanation for the vote.

However, I was at the meeting and learned that my
suspicions about the deal are well founded.

The questions I asked were:

Since Hawkins is responsible for collecting fees from
end-users of water in the mall, what's to prevent
Hawkins from profiting from the water we sell them?

According to Wayne Krauss, nothing will prevent them
from profiting.  In fact, if I understood his answer,
since Hawkins is a corporation, they are entitled to
profit from the water.

Yes, that was about his answer, as unbelievable as
that seems. Krauss thinks it's ok for Hawkins to
profit from the water we sell them, even though Moscow
cannot profit from water it sells Hawkins.

My second question was:

Since Moscow can't profit on water it sells, is the
council justified in saying we can charge Hawkins a
premium for the water we sell them since we can only
charge what it costs to deliver the water.

Krauss's answer was basically we can charge them
appreciation of infrastructure and went into the way
fees will be charged to Hawkins for water.  He failed
to answer the question, I thought, and only said what
we already know.  The problem with his answer is that
those fees are exactly what everybody else pays, so it
isn't a premium.

The rest of the forum pretty much said how Hawkins
will not be beneficial to Moscow, but more than likely
is bad for Moscow.

I'm not sure what Pat got out of the meeting as she
didn't go into detail about what she learned.  Perhaps
she will enlighten us with what she learned?

gclev