[Vision2020] interesting quote

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Thu Jun 26 14:27:32 PDT 2008

Good afternoon, Visionaires,

In this election year, and from a community teeming with harsh "Christian" libertarianism and Reconstructionist contempt for liberals, I thought I'd offer a perspective I find refreshing.  From mid-20th century British evangelical pastor and teacher Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones:

"For some strange reason one of the greatest temptations to a man who becomes a Christian is to become respectable.  When he becomes a Christian he also tends to make money; and if he makes money, he wants to keep that money, and resents the suggestion that he should share that money with others by means of taxation, etc.  Looking at history it seems to me that one of the greatest dangers confronting the Christian is to become a political conservative, and an opponent of legitimate reform, and the legitimate rights of people."

I don't know a ton about Lloyd-Jones, and may or may not agree with him on other issues.  But this?  Wish I'd said it.  I certainly believe it!

Keely